My ravioli mold proved once again that 26 bucks I spent on it was not a waste of money. After I posted my first recipe for ravioli in a red, tomato-based sauce, I got obsessed with the thought of making the ravioli in a different type of sauce, this time – white, creamy, and cheese-based. And, I didn’t want ravioli to be filled just with cheese as most store-bought ravioli seem to be: instead I wanted a veggie and creamy ravioli filling, and goat cheese and spinach proved to be a perfect match for each other. I am very happy to present you with this simple recipe for ravioli with goat cheese and spinach filling in a light Parmesan cream sauce with mushrooms.
The accompanying sauce is pretty basic but it’s made completely from scratch: cheese and cream with sauteed mushrooms and garlic plus seasonings. The sauce lightly coats ravioli creating the perfect creaminess to complement the pasta. The ravioli filling, made with goat cheese, chopped spinach, and nutmeg plays a leading role in this recipe, with each ingredient contributing something different to the overall flavor: goat cheese provides richness and creaminess, spinach – savory side, and nutmeg contributes sweetness with a savory accent.
Ravioli mold did a great job this time, just like before. 100% of my ravioli came out free of air pockets, and upon boiling 24 ravioli (double the recipe here), only 2 of them got little cracks in pasta and even that because I overfilled some of them with the filling and the pasta dough got really thin in some places and burst. None of ravioli got open along the seams. The texture of pasta dough was perfect, too: so soft and thin and yet just of the right consistency to keep ravioli together.
Ingredients for ravioli dough from scratch (makes 12-18 ravioli using mold):
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for ravioli filling (makes 12-18 ravioli, using mold):
- 1/3 cup cooked spinach (or 1/2 bunch raw spinach – to be cooked)
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for mushroom and parmesan cream sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- chopped chives, leeks, for garnish
To make ravioli dough:
- Mix flour with salt.
- Stir water with egg until well mixed.
- In a bowl, combine flour and egg-water mixture together and mix until well incorporated. Sprinke some flour over working surface and over your hands as you knead the dough. Knead the dough until well-textured and firm. The dough should not be too wet or too sticky. It should only stick to itself, but not to your hands. It should not be too dry, either. Make the dough into a ball or disk, wrap with plastic wrap. Let the dough stand for 1 hour at room temperature before using. This allows gluten to work.
- This amount of dough enough to make dough for 12 raviolis, using the mold (ravioli mold makes 12 ravioli). If you need to make 24 ravioli, make a second batch of this dough.
You can find complete recipes of this Ravioli With Goat Cheese And Spinach Filling In Parmesan Cream Sauce in juliasalbum.com