If you’ve never had Oatmeal Carmelitas before, you’ve been missing out! They’re one of my all time favorite bars with a thick buttery oat crust loaded with chocolate and caramel!
I am very passionate about food, both enjoying it and creating it. Because food is such a huge part of my everyday life, it’s hard to fathom that some people in our own city (and in your city) just aren’t able to put a hot meal on the table for themselves or their families.
I have been fortunate enough to partner with Glad and be a part of their Glad to Give program which inspires acts of giving, in turn truly building up our communities. My 12 year old daughter and I have been volunteering locally, serving meals to those in need. I feel this is a very important way to give back to the community because I believe a fresh warm meal is a basic human necessity, not a luxury.
In addition to being able to assist with food prep and service, I also think it’s important for my daughter to participate in volunteering at the mission too. While she will learn the value of good hard work, she will also learn compassion, empathy and how fulfilling it is to do something for someone else. Most importantly, it teaches her the importance of coming together as a community.
In addition to volunteers, there is a full set of staff who coordinate everything to keep things running smoothly. These people are amazing. Not only do they coordinate volunteers but they also plan meals, prepare food, order supplies and serve our community every single day.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1¾ cups quick cooking oats
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 14 oz caramels, unwrapped
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1½ cups semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with foil, grease well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Stir in butter until well mixed.
- Press half of the oat mixture into the prepared pan. Top with chocolate.
- Microwave milk and caramels at 70% power until smooth (about 3-4 minutes), stirring as needed.
You can find complete recipes of this Oatmeal Carmelitas in spendwithpennies.com