Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies.
So when my mom, Eden, and I began our Christmas baking last weekend, I figured this was a good chance to snap some new pictures of probably the best cookie ever and give this old post a much-needed makeover.
This crinkle cookie recipe is inspired by a recipe I used at my last baking job – just veganized and with a seasonal twist. Using both peppermint extract and crushed candies, these cookies have an amazing peppermint-y flavor with a nice little crunch in between fudgy chocolate-y bites. Ever since creating this recipe a couple years ago, it’s become a Christmas cookie staple and one more reason that Christmas is quickly becoming my favorite time of year.
I also learned a great little trick, thanks to my mom and Cook’s Illustrated. By coating the cookie first in granulated sugar you allow the cookie surface to dry out quickly before the interior sets, creating more of those beautiful crinkly cracks.
The extra layer of sugar also prevents the powdered sugar from melting into the cookie for that stark white on black visual. You can read about the science behind all that here. It’s pretty cool stuff and I was thrilled to see the difference when testing it out. Welcome in the season with a couple of these cookies, cup of cocoa, and a warm fire. You’ll be glad you did.
- 1 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon peppermint candies, crushed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl or stand up mixer stir together cocoa powder, sugar, applesauce, oil, and extracts until well blended. Fold in crushed peppermints.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the granulated and powdered sugars in two separate bowls.
- Remove chilled dough and roll into balls about one tablespoon each.
- Toss first in the granulated and then second in the powdered sugar, coating fully.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes (cookies should be slightly underbaked).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
You can find complete recipes of this CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CRINKLE COOKIES in mydarlingvegan.com