Do you love Tagalong Cookies? If so, you are going to LOVE this homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Tagalong Pie! Buttery shortbread cookie crust topped with a sweet, creamy, peanut butter filling and finally, silky dark chocolate ganache swirled with peanut butter.
This gorgeous pie is a total showstopper! And one for the real peanut butter lovers out there. The filling is smooth and rich and the shortbread crust just about melts-in-your-mouth! Once you add the chocolate ganache, you are in chocolate peanut butter heaven!
We all know chocolate and peanut butter are the perfect pairing (as discussed here, here and here). But add in crumbly shortbread? A whole new level of delicious my friend!
One of the girls in my team at work is from America, and a few weeks ago she brought in Girl Scout Cookies that her family had sent over from the USA. Everyone at work was so excited to try them! I had already tried Thin Mints when I went to Texas last year but I had long wanted to try Tagalongs.
One bite and I was smitten! If you haven’t tried them before, they are a shortbread cookie topped with peanut butter and covered in chocolate. I ate quite a few of them and once they were gone, I had the urge to recreate them at home – with a twist.
And voila – we have the Tagalong Cookie in pie form! And what a chunky pie at that. The shortbread crust is made with just four ingredients and is baked until golden brown. The peanut butter filling is a simple no bake recipe and finally, a thick coating of chocolate ganache – yes please!
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (2/3 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
Peanut butter filling
- 375 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 220 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) dark chocolate, pieces
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- A few tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
- Grease and line an 8 inch loose bottom cake tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for approximately 2 minutes or until pale and creamy. Sift in the powdered or icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat again. Sift in the flour and stir gently until a buttery dough forms. Pour the shortbread dough into the cake tin and press down to form my smooth layer. Bake for approximately 15-16 minutes or until golden brown all over. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
You can find complete recipes of this Chocolate Peanut Butter Tagalong Pie in sweetestmenu.com