This easy no bake dessert features layers of crispy cornflakes and peanut butter, sweetened cream cheese, and dark chocolate pudding, topped with fluffy whipped cream. It really is a slice of heaven.
If you look through my recipe index, it’s pretty clear that I’m not a big dessert person. When it comes to food vices, I’m more of a cheese and potato chips girl, and most of the time I’d rather finish off a delicious meal with a big glass of wine than a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream. But this particular dessert is something that nobody can turn down!
I first had this amazing chocolate, peanut butter and cream cheese dessert two summers ago when we reunited with some good friends who were visiting family in Pennsylvania. We were invited to their annual 4th of July BBQ, and while I usually look forward to grilled hotdogs and potato salad more than anything else, I kept hearing whispers about a famous dessert known as “Aunt Barb’s dessert.” As soon as I heard that, I was sold. When someone has a signature dish, you just know it’s going to be fantastic.
Add in the fact that it contains layers of peanut butter, cream cheese, and chocolate (my three favorite dessert ingredients), and, well, I didn’t even care about my hotdog anymore, I just wanted to dive face first into the dessert. It did not disappoint. Before I was halfway through my first forkful, I’d renamed “Aunt Barb’s dessert” into “Chocolate Peanut Butter Heaven” because that is exactly what it is.
I’ve had plenty of variations of chocolate and peanut butter desserts in my life, but this one is extra special. All of the flavors and textures go together so harmoniously, you can practically hear birds singing with each bite. The bottom layer is made from combining peanut butter with crushed cornflakes, which gives it a tremendously satisfying crunch.
Then you add in a layer of sweetened cream cheese for that slightly tart factor which balances out the richness of the chocolate and peanut butter. Then you top it with some thick chocolate pudding (I chose dark chocolate pudding because I love the rich taste, but you could use milk chocolate instead). And finally, you cover it all with a layer of whipped topping, which gives it a beautifully light and airy quality that just takes it to that next level of heavenly perfection.
I could NOT stop eating it. For weeks, I tried searching for the recipe online, but I couldn’t find the exact combination of ingredients that Aunt Barb had used. So I called my friend and begged her to track down the original. Thankfully she obliged, and now I have the chance to make it for myself, and share it with you! I’m not kidding — if you make this, you will be the hero of everyone in the room.
- 3 small packages instant chocolate pudding (dark or milk chocolate)
- 4 c milk
- 5 1/2 c cornflakes, slightly crushed
- 1 1/2 c peanut butter
- 2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 3 c cool whip
- mini chocolate chips (optional, for serving)
- Combine the milk and pudding mix with an electric mixer.
- Once smooth, put in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- For the bottom layer, mix the cornflakes and peanut butter until combined (the best way to do this is with your hands; it’s messy, but effective).
- Spread the cornflake/pb mixture into the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish until evenly coated.
- Place into the freezer for 30 minutes to allow it to harden.
- While the pb mixture is setting, combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 cup cool whip.
- Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom layer.
- Return to the freezer for 30 more minutes to set.
You can find complete recipes of this CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER HEAVEN (EASY NO-BAKE DESSERT) in goodinthesimple.com