I love quinoa. I have been experimenting with it not only for savory dishes like this Broccoli quinoa casserole but for sweet dishes as well.
I have a lot of recipes I want to experiment with using quinoa. I love this ingredient and because it is so versatile, healthy and easy to prepare, it has become one of my ultimate favorite ingredients to cook with. When I made this broccoli quinoa casserole I wasn’t to sure that it will come out good. I have never baked the quinoa before so I was a bit skeptical. Luckily it came out just fine. I really hate wasting food.
I think I went a bit over board with the cheese, but like my son says, there is never too much cheese. He truly loves it, and so do I. I think the pesto in this broccoli quinoa casserole was just genius. I love anything with pesto. I had a little bit leftover from making my pizza over the weekend so I figured I throw it in the mix. I mean, it couldn’t hurt right?
The only thing I left out was garlic, which I forgot. You can add some if you like. We love garlic as well so next time I will add it for sure. I cooked my broccoli in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes prior to adding it to the quinoa casserole. Since it will not be baking for too long in the oven I found it to be important to cook it just a tad before. It came out just perfect in the end.
This broccoli quinoa casserole was extremely easy to put together. It came out a bit salty since I added a bit too much salt. Next time I will cut down the amount. I used two teaspoons instead of just one, so make sure you stick with just one teaspoon.
- 2 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock, or water
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1/2 tsp celtic salt
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach
- 12 oz skim mozzarella cheese, I used 16oz
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a 9×13 baking rectangular dish place the quinoa and green onions.
- On the meantime, place the broccoli in a large bowl and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- My microwave is not very powerful so this is how long I did it for without the broccoli getting mushy.
- If you have a powerful microwave you may need just 3 minutes as it will continue to bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, with a wire whisk, mix the vegetable stock, pesto, arrowroot powder and salt.
- Heat mixture until boil. You can do this on your stove top or microwave. I used my microwave.
- Add the vegetable stock to the quinoa followed by the spinach, parmesan and 3/4 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Take the quinoa casserole out of the oven and mix in the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the quinoa and broccoli and place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- If you like you can add more parmesan cheese over the top as well.
- I place my casserole under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the top but this is just optional.
- Serve while still warm.
You can find complete recipes of this BROCCOLI QUINOA CASSEROLE in eatgood4life.com