Blueberry Cream Cheese Swirly Bread. Can you guess what is in the ingredients?
This is a delicious bundle of soft, light, sweet rolls packed with blueberries and cream cheese and oh boy! It is delicious! I’ve also made a very cheeky glaze to go on the top, and this bread is just amazing to eat. It’s full of stickiness and creaminess and absolutely wonderful with a nice cup of tea!
This is an easy recipe, you can use a stand mixer or make by hand, and below at the end, I will add a very nice video for you if you wish to make by hand so you have the correct kneading technique so as to not spoil your wonderful bread. Try this recipe, it really is super soft, moist and yes, very very addictive!
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 Cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour Plus extra for kneading / rolling
- 10 oz FROZEN Blueberries. keep them frozen until ready to use
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar for the blueberries
- 8 oz package of cream cheese room Temperature
- 3 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar mixed into the cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- In small bowl warm the milk in the microwave at 30 second intervals until warm to touch.
- Make sure it is not so hot you can’t put your finger in.
- Add the milk to your (stand mixer) mixing bowl with the yeast and sugar.
- Cover and leave for about 10 minutes until frothy.
- Add the softened butter, eggs, grated lemon zest and salt.
- Add the flour and beat at low to medium speed until a soft dough forms, approx 3 – 5 minutes. Then increase the speed a little more and knead until the dough is soft and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes using the dough hook, or by hand if you don’t have a stand mixer. (again, use more flour if kneading by hand so it is not too sticky wet to handle) Watch the short video at the end of this recipe for kneading by hand.
- If after 10 minutes of kneading, the dough is not coming away from the sides of the bowl,
- Add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it does. When ready, remove the dough hook and shape the dough into a nice ball, then cover with a clean cloth and place somewhere warm to let rise for 1 hour. It should double in size.
- Whilst waiting for the dough to rise, make up the cream cheese filling by mixing the cream cheese and sugar until all combined, and adding the sugar to the frozen blueberries and mixing well.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch the air out of the dough and turn it onto a well floured surface.
- Divide into 2 equal pieces and then roll the first piece into a rectangle, about 10 inches by 13 inches.
- Have the longest side nearest to your body as in the photos below. Be sure to dust with flour when rolling.
- Use 2 x 9 inch baking pans, and grease the pans. Place parchment paper in the pans and cut enough so there is an overhang all around of about 2 -3 inches.
- Use half of the cream cheese and spread all over the rectangle, then distribute half the blueberries as evenly as possible.
- Taking the longest side nearest to your body, start to roll the dough, away from you as tight as possible.
- Then push down to seal the edge at the end.
- Use a sharp knife and cut off the ends to make it tidy, then divide the roll in half, then each half divide in to 4 pieces, so you end up with 8 rolls.
You can find complete recipes of this BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE SWIRLY BREAD in lovefoodies.com